This is the second in a series about my move to Barrhaven.
I was unexpectedly blessed with an amazing (slow and steady) energy and a sub-conscious clarity for the first 4 days after moving into Barrhaven that allowed me to unpack the boxes and shelves for my kitchen and get it functional almost right away!!! The kitchen is the most important space for me now, as preparing healthy food is the one thing I have the most control over and nourishing food is so important for my health. When I was barely alive, that was my priority every day, to make and eat one good meal. That and feeding my cats and cleaning their litter-box. If nothing else got done, so be it. I needed healthy, nutritious food to keep my body from completely giving up the ghost. So getting the kitchen set up here asap so I could cook was a priority, as then I’d be able to keep myself from spiraling downhill again if I collapsed for any reason.
I think I mostly did collapse after that, for a week or four, but I also had to air out bags of textiles, curtains and clothes that I’d kept in hopes they might someday be made safe again, as some got musty in storage. I also had to detox some curtains in the bathtub for the living room window to give me some privacy. I was lucky that one set of sheers I had took comparatively little work, as the others were making me really sick, bent over the tub breathing in the fumes as I washed them. There’s no window or extraction fan in the washroom, and no laundry tub in the laundry room, so I had to give up on trying to detox more curtains for the other windows, or other clothes for myself. The bags are now all in the walk-in closet that Christian came over and helped me cover with sheets of mylar. There was something in the walls in that space that was making me sick when I opened the door, so we used 2 sided painters tape and foil tape to affix the mylar to the walls and maybe even the ceiling (I don’t remember!). Now I get sick from the old previously safe soap residues on my things when I open the door, but I can’t do anything about them until I am able to get a washer and dryer.
Michel has made more than one trip to IKEA and Home Depot for me, picking up a few things I needed. The shower curtain and toilet brush from IKEA are still outside, not safe to bring in. And the lamp has a questionable part, I’m not sure if I will be able to use it. The toxic perils of modern products… sigh…
Surprisingly, though, I am almost all unpacked now! I really wanted to get the packing boxes out of my space as quickly as possible because they were so nasty. So nasty in fact, that my immediate neighbor complained when I’d put the empties outside. They made her sick too! I think it’s the glue and type of paper they used. So, whenever I’ve had the energy, I focused on unpacking things to get those boxes out of here.
I was finally able to tackle the “office” 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately my books and files were packed in those boxes for over 5 years, and now have taken on the essence of the boxes. I don’t know yet if I’ll have to get rid of them or be able to salvage some. That’s a project for another time. They are all in the 2nd bedroom, and someday I’ll don my mask and eye glasses and look through them to see what’s there. I now remember and miss being able to snuggle into a comfortable chair with a good book… I hope one day I’ll be well enough to be able to do that again.
To be continued…